5 Star Reviews
Sayyida Abdus-Salaam, MD5
"That's the warmest doctor's office I've ever visited. We felt welcome there. They made us feel like we were apart of their family not just patients. Such a positive environment. The whole office feels so peaceful and clean. The best customer service. Everybody was kind"
In this brief video, Dr. Sayyida Abdus-Salaam, Board-certified physician and co-founder of Memphis Center for Aesthetic Medicine in Germantown, TN, explains microneedling.
At Memphis Center for Aesthetic Medicine we offer microneedling therapy (collagen induction therapy), which is a non-surgical, minimally invasive skin rejuvenation technique. The procedure utilizes a medical grade device to help stimulate the proliferation of new skin cells and facilitates the breakdown of scar tissue. The formation of new, healthy tissue supports a strong network of collagen and elastin, as well as new capillaries, which deliver moisture and nutrients to dermal tissues.
The microneedling procedure creates microchannels in the skin. These microchannels seal within a few minutes of the completion of treatment. Due to the body’s natural rejuvenation and healing response, new cells begin maturing beneath the protective outer skin layer. This technique triggers the production of new collagen and elastin, thus renewing the skin from within. The result is healthier, more attractive skin that has a youthful glow.
Microneedling is an excellent treatment for:
- Hyperpigmentation (dark spots)
- Age spots
- Skin laxity
- Poor texture
- Some acne scars
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Thinning hair and alopecia
- Overall skin rejuvenation and improvement
How many treatments are required and how frequently?A series of several treatments typically yields the best results. The exact number needed will depend on several factors, including the nature and extent of the problem, and the individual’s response to treatment. It is safe for use on virtually any area of the body, including the arms, legs, face, neck, and the décolleté area. The majority of patients see noticeable improvement with the first treatment.
How does microneedling work?The procedure is performed using a small, handheld device that is guided over the skin in the treatment area. It creates microchannels in the dermal tissue, facilitating improved uptake of therapeutic serums. Topical formulas contain active molecules that are otherwise too large to pass through the epidermis, or the top layer of the skin. The treatment also stimulates the production of new collagen and elastin fibers, causing skin to become firmer and plumper, diminishing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The process is virtually pain-free, with visible improvements seen in 1-2 weeks and maximum results approximately in 3 months.
What can I expect during the procedure?We begin by cleansing the treatment area, and then applying a numbing cream. To achieve the best results, we utilize skin lighteners, antioxidants, or collagen stimulating formulas along with microneedling. The device works with a sterile, disposable tip that contains a multitude of microneedles that create microchannels in the skin. A soothing topical serum is applied to the skin following treatment.
How will I look after the procedure?The after effects of microneedling are mild and resolve quickly. Patients often experience a bit of redness or inflammation, similar to that of a very mild sunburn. This should dissipate within a day or two, and you may see some immediate skin improvement. For most patients, visible results and noticeable smoothing of the skin develop after a week or two. Full results are usually apparent about three months after treatment.
How much downtime does microneedling require?This is a gentle, minimally invasive procedure and it has very little downtime. Visible side effects are minimal and can be camouflaged with mineral makeup. We will provide complete aftercare instructions at the time of treatment.
What benefits can I expect from microneedling?This technique can be used alone or in conjunction with other cosmetic procedures. The many benefits include:
- The penetration and effectiveness of topical medications can be increased dramatically with microneedling
- We use non-allergenic, medical grade titanium needles
- Microneedling enhances collagen production and stimulates circulation
- It is safe for all skin types and all skin colors
- Microneedling can be used safely and effectively on most areas of the face and body, including sensitive areas, such as around the eyes
How will microneedling affect my skin?Microneedling therapy improves the skin in many ways:
- Reduces the appearance of visible stretch marks
- Refines large pores
- Raises depressed scars by stimulating the production of healthy new collagen and elastin
- Stimulates the regeneration of tissue
- Improves the texture of skin and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Evens skin tone and improves hyperpigmentation
Does microneedling hurt?The treatment is quite gentle, and numbing cream will be applied in advance to ensure your comfort.
Is microneedling safe for skin of color?Microneedling is a safe, minimally invasive technique that is appropriate for all skin types and skin colors.
Am I a good candidate?A consultation with Dr. Salaam will determine if this technique is right for you. Microneedling therapy can be used safely on sensitive areas of skin such as the backs of the hands, the neck, and around the eyes. However, it is not recommended for:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women
- Patients currently suffering from cold sores, open wounds, or other medical skin conditions in the treatment area
- Anyone who has taken Accutane (Isotretinoin) within the last 3 months
- People who have received radiation therapy within the last 12 months
If you are looking for innovative and minimally invasive ways to improve your skin, contact Memphis Center for Aesthetic Medicine and schedule a consultation to find out if microneedling is right for you.
- Germantown, TN area professional describes how microneedling treatment works
- Why can microneedling improve for Memphis area patients?
- Medical team in Germantown explains how microneedling can be ideal for treating hyperpigmentation
- Physician in Germantown highlights the benefits of microneedling
- Reduce the appearance of dark spots with help from your Germantown cosmetic surgeon